Incongruent behavior! AKA stuff you expect a thing to do in a normal interaction

If you notice the game is doing something wrong or totally unexpected, describe it here and we will workshop a solution.
Not just for bugs!
ReginaldHJ
DIPSHIT FUCKF ACES

Incongruent behavior! AKA stuff you expect a thing to do in a normal interaction

Post by ReginaldHJ »

NEWS FLASH CHUMPS: SS13 IS AN IMSIM

its a load of consistent systems with a range of complex behaviors and rich interactions

WHICH MEANS: if you try to do a simple thing it's even more jarring when it doesn't work

for example:

you ever think about how gordon freeman can politely stand in front of a vending machine and casually gulp one soda every 30 seconds to regain exactly one point of HP but when he's a rude crowbar boy and spills all thos e gorgeous cans all over the ground he cannot whet his whistle with the delightful taste of Coce Cola or Fruitopia, chuggiung exactly 1.5 gallons of soda in exactly 1.5 seconds to regain 24 HP??? it just doesn't make sense

in space station 13, IT'S THE SAME THING when you throw a light bulb against a wall or floor and it doesn't shatter. we found that in testing and were like "Hey why doesn't this. Hm. It should" (and now!!! it's good!!! AGILE DEVELOPMENT)

use this thread to report inconsistencies. like,
1. what you expect to happen when you do an action to an item, mob, machinery, turf, etc.
2. what simple interaction is it that should lead to it
3. what it does now (i.e. nothing, you just hit the thing with the thing, tile turns into plating), etc.

not all little things like this are impactful on gameplay or even feasible/possible to correct, but they sure are all about MOUTHFEEL

and i think we can all agree: coolstation should feel good in your mouth

"Melding with the Planet... I will cease to exist as I am now... Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every soul." - Sephiroth

"May The Schwartz Be With You." - Yogurt
ReginaldHJ
DIPSHIT FUCKF ACES

Re: Incongruent behavior! AKA stuff you expect a thing to do in a normal interaction

Post by ReginaldHJ »

New:
Hitting someone with a drinking glass on harm intent should smash it over their head

Will edit when fixed, just an example

"Melding with the Planet... I will cease to exist as I am now... Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every soul." - Sephiroth

BatElite
Coder

Re: Incongruent behavior! AKA stuff you expect a thing to do in a normal interaction

Post by BatElite »

Kinda technical but I'm fairly sure the lookup for accessing one's bank account uses the name on the ID instead of some internal reference, which leads to a couple weird things:

-If the HoP's a dick and changes your ID's name to FARTMAN or something, you lose access to your bank account
-You can make an ID with some random person's name and a pin of your choosing, and you get access to theirs (not that this matters a lot for the HoP, but)
ReginaldHJ
DIPSHIT FUCKF ACES

Post by ReginaldHJ »

BatElite wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:49 am Kinda technical but I'm fairly sure the lookup for accessing one's bank account uses the name on the ID instead of some internal reference, which leads to a couple weird things:

-If the HoP's a dick and changes your ID's name to FARTMAN or something, you lose access to your bank account
-You can make an ID with some random person's name and a pin of your choosing, and you get access to theirs (not that this matters a lot for the HoP, but)
Hmm, yeah, that fuckin' sucks. If it's a two step process, like the ID itself holds a reference to the bank account which isn't changed by a namechange, and that bank account reference can be set by the bank records computer...

That might be the best direct way to sort it out.

...That plus some kinda syndicate traitory device to skim someone's ID and autoPIN into their account...

Tamber
Coder

Post by Tamber »

ReginaldHJ wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:50 pm
BatElite wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:49 am Kinda technical but I'm fairly sure the lookup for accessing one's bank account uses the name on the ID instead of some internal reference, which leads to a couple weird things:

Hmm, yeah, that fuckin' sucks. If it's a two step process, like the ID itself holds a reference to the bank account which isn't changed by a namechange, and that bank account reference can be set by the bank records computer...

That might be the best direct way to sort it out.

...That plus some kinda syndicate traitory device to skim someone's ID and autoPIN into their account...
Yeah, it really is just based on the name and pin on the card; I can probably make it less bad while I'm rooting around in there in the name of the Econony stuff, tbh.
All I do is mop the floor. ALL I DO IS MOP THE FLOOR! AlL i dO iS MoP tHE fLo0r!

Part of the Janitaurial staff :D
eagletanker
10 times posted
Location: Bit north of the penguins, bit south of the polar bears

Post by eagletanker »

If I add a stock onto a gun it knocks off any grips and vice versa, despite a stock with grips to make it feel better to hold being pretty commonplace.
Your Message Here!