poll: spacebux????

What would you like to see added, changed, or removed?

What to do with the Space Bucks

keep - do not change space bucks
14%
mod - get rid of the End Round Alive incentive
36%
mod - eliminate item purchasing (SaaS)
14%
trash - get rid of spacebux altogether.
36%

Total votes: 14

warc
PISS IDIOT

poll: spacebux????

Post by warc »

hm!!!
warc wrote: hey nerds im here to talk you a bout "game design" and in particular let's talk about "space bucks" and how they might have ruined the game.
i think i really liked spacebux at first-
having a round to round "score" probably helps with player retention and engagement, but is that all it does?
Perhaps the toxic element in the equation is when they added the uh "you can keep your item when you survive" bit!
people started taking it extremely personally when they were killed
it wasn't "ah i died a few minutes from the end, lol happens" any longer - it was "you CHEATED me out of my 10 THOUSAND spacebucs purchase of BEING A BONE MAN" which, first off, cringe, second off, wow, thirdly- lmao?
Ive been on this hill for 5 years now but dying used to be fun, or at least funny.
I think that the spacebux system massively changed that, and not in a good way. Obviously it is not alone, and if this poll goes in the way I personally feel it ought to, I know we'll also have to make changes to the planned Gunse Persistent's slot, as that would have the exact same incentive structure. Funny how after a year of very very slowly slogging parts of the game to bits, you realise that your first insticts were way way way wrong, and sometimes it's time to turn around and let go of it????

anyway heres the options in my of pinion. Comment if you think of more.

a) nothing
b) we get rid of the part that makes Dying a major blow to your personal econony- that would mean Anything you buy is for One Round Only no matter what. It would also mean getting rid of the survived / died payout scaling.
c) we get rid of the part that makes it a microtransaction! That means spacebux become functionally useless, materially. This would let us keep the payout modifiers, as well as possibly expanding things like trading bux and perhaps ghosts betting on survivors and dumb horse race shit like that- this is pure Spacebux as a Score. Its just a number, and it goes up!
d) get rid of it if you think it was a stupid idea to begin with?

comment!!!

Linguini
finally a signature htat doesnt wipe
Tamber
Coder

Re: poll: spacebux????

Post by Tamber »

...I'll be honest, I've never actually used spacebux. The stuff in the menu always seemed like it should have been in vending machines somewhere anyway.
All I do is mop the floor. ALL I DO IS MOP THE FLOOR! AlL i dO iS MoP tHE fLo0r!

Part of the Janitaurial staff :D
BatElite
Coder

Post by BatElite »

I haven't experienced the before times but I'm thinking it might be good to at least kill off the carry-over? Nukeops and revs already don't do take items regardless of your outcome, which feels like something of an admission that it doesn't work well for the game. I'm still torn (& haven't voted) but I'm kinda leaning towards ditching the whole thing:

-Applying a personal thing with spacebux each round is just a little tedious. The system just kinda sucks for that. The mutantrace traits were definitely an improvement for that eventhoughitannoysmeicantbealizardforjustoneroundanymore
-Since you get stacks of cash at the round's end, it can incentivise folks to stick with boring rounds they're bored with (it certainly does to me, I can't escape the suck cost bullshit) and that feeds into burnout IMO
-Somehow even though every regular player I know of has 6-7 figure amounts of bux, more than you could reasonably need or spend, it still incentivises this nonsense??

If we're not removing it outright, something that might interesting if a little hard to design is if you could instead buy things that impact the station/round in a small way instead of yourself. Things that preferably can't be (or aren't worth being) used to get an immediate edge, like:

-Someone that isn't you starts with a nice gun( or some other contraband?)
-A random light on the map gets a welding fuel tank spawned under it
-Two random lockers switch places, let's hope one of them is the cap's

Just kinda fucking with the station in minor ways. It probably won't impact the round much, but it might??? Also that shit would have to be expensive or it'd get annoying quick. Much nicer if we get rid of the carrying over too.
warc
PISS IDIOT

Post by warc »

BatElite wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:42 am If we're not removing it outright, something that might interesting if a little hard to design is if you could instead buy things that impact the station/round in a small way instead of yourself. Things that preferably can't be (or aren't worth being) used to get an immediate edge, like:
{...}
Just kinda fucking with the station in minor ways. It probably won't impact the round much, but it might??? Also that shit would have to be expensive or it'd get annoying quick. Much nicer if we get rid of the carrying over too.
This is Good™ in my IMO and tbh Cool Idea.
Ties into bob's idea for having Cash Mosney to improve things, this is similar, and i think easier to accomblish in the short term.

Kill carryover, Kill the retention incentive, and abstract the "purchases" into high-priced Round Mods sounds like some blue ribbon shit.
finally a signature htat doesnt wipe
eagletanker
10 times posted
Location: Bit north of the penguins, bit south of the polar bears

Post by eagletanker »

Keep it in and get rid of the end of round bonus, and make the stuff you can buy mostly either gimmick items (like corpse, which is funny, and the Missile Arrival, which is even funnier) or minor cosmetic stuff, like alt jumpsuits. Oh and make all the stuff dirt cheap. You'd died and lost your brown backpack? eh, whatever. who cares, go buy another for 5 bux.

Maybe also have a deposit you can choose to do before round start, where you go and deposit your spacebux at some conversion rate and get that amount of credits added to your account to a limit, allowing people to bank that they might be able to be a traitor and go buy stuff from carl, or that they can use it to go buy that cool gun part they want.

idk just let it be used more and make it more explicit that theres no meaning or value to it. it's company scipt and its common use is tp if you run out.
Your Message Here!
Stardust☆
Game Admin

Post by Stardust☆ »

I feel like a lot of things buyable through spacebux would be better suited to being traits instead.
Most of the trinkets would be really well suited to this IMO.
Like an artist trait that spawns you with a crayon or crayon maker, or a trait that gives you a dialog box to pick a custom bag.

What if you could also pick alternate jumpsuits/bags through the character setup menu?
I think a list having a brown backpack/itabag/rucksack/etc.
and another having pride-o-matic/hoodie/alternate jumpsuits would be a good idea.

I do really like the idea of having spacebux do station-wide things.......
And i think the special spawns (corpse/space diner/missile) would really fit well with this.
Image :mrgreen: I SUPPORT GAY SKUNKS :mrgreen:
chevrotain
posted

Post by chevrotain »

spacebux demands that you basically hunker down every round and encourages the kind of min/maxing that a lot of other items saw themselves knocked down in value for encouraging in the first place: small oxy tanks with less oxygen, less tools lying around everywhere, etc.

I've always thought the traders should carry a much more wide variety of items and something ------cool------- would be to let all of this "spacebux" nonsense be distributed among all of the different means and conveyances of finding stuff (pushing someone's wallet into a vending machine, blowing all of your arms off opening an unmarked security crate, floating around somewhere)